lipgloss*suicide

A very UN-glossy look at popular culture... and whatever else takes my fancy.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Banksy vs. Paris

Oh Banksy Banksy Banksy, I love you, I honestly do. You've cheered up many a dull morning for me when I've suddenly spotted a piece of yours. Perhaps a rat, lurking down by the pavement as dozens of fast-paced feet march past unnoticing. Or the old hitchhiker on Archway road who I used to smile at as I went through the daily grind, thinking it would be great to join him, just jump in a car and bugger off to 'anywhere'. And when I read your books I felt inspired enough to actually sit down and write a long-winded email to you (or one of your minions at least - I don't know who deals with your mail. You have a PA? A Secretary? Wouldn't surprise me if you had several). I didn't send it though. I'm sure you get enough drivel-filled emails from kids who want to 'fuck the system' gushing about how amazing you are and what an inspiration you've been; you don't need another to clog up the recycling bin.

So why do you have to go and do this to me?

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from. You're attacking the cult of celebrity, pointless fame, the worship of 'false icons' and everything that goes with it. I think it's a really clever stunt, I honestly do. I agree with what you're saying. I just have one question...

Why did you make her topless on the front cover?

What was the point of that, really? I guess you're suffering from the schollboy syndrome of finding it really really hilarious to draw boobies on pictures of women. I'm not very impressed. No points for you this time.

Apart from her pointless tits, my other gripe with the stunt is that, clearly, Paris didn't make herself become famous just like that. She didn't wave her magic fame wand and - poof! - suddenly she was a celebrity. It is the media who created her - perhaps a campaign about the vapid-ness of modern celebrity should be targeted at them instead? Why not doctor 500 copies of Heat magazine? Or The Sun? That would be pretty good actually. I think you should do it. Just don't draw naked tits on everyone just for the sake of it, please?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home